This was a great year for Rock Band. We released new games, tons of DLC, launched the Rock Band Network, interviewed tons of Rock Band bands, and more. Read below for the highlights.
2010 brought us Green Day: Rock Band and Rock Band 3, as well as a brand new version of Rock Band for iPhone and iPad.
Green Day: Rock Band - Released June 8
The game features 47 on-disc songs and will work with the six Green Day songs previously available in the Rock Band Music Store. Green Day: Rock Band allows players to play as Billie Joe Armstrong, Mike Dirnt, or Tré Cool as the band progresses from the early days starting with Dookie all the way through arena shows for American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown. The game includes unique venues from Green Day's career, as well as a look at their style through the years. Visit the official game page for more info and a full track listing!
Rock Band 3 - Released October 26
Rock Band 3 features 83 songs from the world’s best artists, and allows access to the existing Rock Band Music Library of over 2,000 songs! Classic songs like “Bohemian Rhapsody” by Queen, “Sister Christian” by Night Ranger, “Imagine” by John Lennon, and even “Free Bird” by Lynyrd Skynyrd are just some of the songs from this epic setlist. And for the first time ever, Rock Band players can join the band on a keyboard, a brand new peripheral for Rock Band 3. We also added three-part vocal harmonies, Pro Guitar & Pro Bass gameplay, and Pro Drums. Pro Guitar and Pro Bass empowers players to develop actual musical skills through the fun of classic Rock Band gameplay. Pro Drums adds cymbals to the classic Rock Band drum gameplay. We also added an all-new Music Library including filtering and song reviews, a new character creator, and tons of in-game goals to extend your gameplay experience. Visit the official game page for more information and a full track list!
Rock Band Reloaded - Released December 1
Rock Band Reloaded includes 30 hit songs from bands like 3 Doors Down and Nine Inch Nails, plus all-new gameplay features including special requests from fans like vocal recognition, landscape mode, and Expert difficulty level. For more information, check out the official pages for the iPhone/iPod touch version and iPad version.
We've been releasing weekly DLC for several years now, and 2010 was no exception. We released some huge packs this year, including:
- Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
- Country Pack 03, featuring Rascal Flatts, Kenny Chesney, and more
- Megadeth's Rust In Peace album
- Otis Redding classics
- Lady Gaga DLC pack, plus the South Park version of "Poker Face" featuring Cartman
- Two Jimi Hendrix albums - Axis: Bold As Love and Are You Experienced
- No Doubt's classic Tragic Kingdom album
- Judas Priest's British Steel Live album
- Pantera's Great Southern Trendkill
- Ozzy Osbourne pack
- Miley Cyrus pack
- Nickelback pack
- Creedence Clearwater Revival classics
- Snoop Dogg's Rock Band debut
- R.E.M. 8-pack of hits
- A 12-pack of hits from The Doors for Rock Band 3
- Bon Jovi's greatest hits
- Bee Gees 6-pack
- John Lennon's Imagine album
- Two Queen packs
- Billy Joel 12-pack of hits
- Johnny Cash 8-pack
The Rock Band Network Store Launches
The Rock Band Network Music Store is giving Rock Band fans and music lovers a new avenue to discover music and providing musicians and labels the opportunity to produce and promote tracks for the Rock Band platform. There are currently more than 750 tracks available in the Rock Band Network Music Store, including tracks from bands like All That Remains, Creed, Evanescence, The New Pornographers, Steve Vai, KMFDM, Sunny Day Real Estate, Jonathan Coulton, Bang Camaro, and more, with new songs released every day. For more information, visit the official Rock Band Network page. And to get involved as an author, peer reviewer, or artist, check out Creators.RockBand.com.
The Rock Band team interviewed a ton of bands this year. If you missed any of these great interviews, catch up below!
- HMXHenry talks to The Bouncing Souls at Warped Tour
- HMXPope interviews the Reverend Horton Heat himself, Jim Heath
- HMX lame-o's first RockBand.com interview is with one of his favorite bands, The New Pornographers
- HMXThrasher plays "Dr. Doom" in Rock Band with Vincent from The Acacia Strain
- Anti-Flag talks to HMXThrasher about their new album, their activism, and their new RBN tracks
- HMXBinThrDunTht chats with iwrestledabearonce at SXSW
- RBN artist Jon Black tells HMXLachesis about being a gamer and a musician in the Rock Band Network
- Amberian Dawn talks to HMXLachesis about their new album and being in RBN
- RBN band World Minus One tells HMXLachesis about the time one of them was bit by an alligator in their own living room.
- HMX Alum Veng chats with Skeletonwitch and tests HMXThrasher's bleeping skills.
- HMXLachesis talks to RBN artist James William Roy about how he's using the RBN as a music promotions tool
- HMXThrasher talks to A Day To Remember about their song names, tour pranks, and more
- An exclusive video with Rush drummer Neil Peart talking about his recording of "The Hockey Theme" for Rock Band
- HMXThrasher chats wil Ol of Evile about their RBN plans
- HMXHenry & HMXPope have a very special interview with Oderus Urungus of GWAR. Warning: Not for delicate ears.
- HMXcj chats with Ben Burnley of Breaking Benjamin, her favorite band, about music games, touring, and songwriting
- HMXPope sits down with Tim, Ben, Chris, and Lawrence of The Mighty Mighty Bosstones and talks about the Hometown Throwdown, recording from across the country, and more
- Jack Blades of Night Ranger talks about the state of rock in America
We talked to Harmonix artists about Rock Band art and their personal art. You can see them all below!
- Matt Gilpin
- Kerry Roan
- Mitch Fletcher
- Green Day: Rock Band Concept Art with Shawn Witt
- Jeff Hesser
- Aaron DeMuth
- Rock Band 3 art with Ryan Lesser and Pete MacDonald
The awesome Harmonix Community Team recorded a twice-monthly podcast covering DLC, behind-the-scenes at Harmonix, and more. You can subscribe on iTunes or listen right here on RockBand.com.
Have you signed up for the Rock Band newsletter yet? The newsletter covers DLC news, Rock Band sales, and more, and we sent out one every other week all year.
Finally, we announced that Harmonix is returning to being an independent game studio! For fans, this means that the DLC schedule marches on for Rock Band, we will continue our support of previously released titles and we’re hard at work on some unannounced projects that we think you’re going to be pumped about.
Stay tuned in 2011 for more great stuff from the team here at Harmonix!