2011 was another great year for Rock Band thanks to our awesome fans. A lot happened this year, so check out the recap below!
We hit a couple of big DLC milestones this year - 3,000 songs released and four years of weekly DLC. We also released tons of awesome DLC. Some of the highlights are below!
- We kicked off the year with a Johnny Cash 8-pack
- The Clash's London Calling
- Bob Marley
- Valentine's Day Duets
- '80s hits "867-5309/Jenny" & "Take On Me"
- Our massive May featuring Foo Fighters, Pantera, Lady Gaga, and Ozzy Osbourne
- Def Leppard
- Red Hot Chili Peppers
- Stevie Wonder
- Jimi Hendrix
- And we're closing out the year with Rush's 2112
- Plus: Stone Sour, Linkin Park, David Bowie, Pat Benatar, Billy Joel, Roy Orbison, Fleetwood Mac & Stevie Nicks, Bruno Mars, Rise Against, Avenged Sevenfold, Maroon 5, Poison, Cheap Trick, Weezer, Nirvana, Slipknot, and more throughout the year!
Not only did we release all that DLC, but we also gave away a TON of DLC! We started up DLC code giveaways this year and gave away packs from Foo Fighters, Ozzy Osbourne, Nickelback, Lady Gaga, and more. Not to mention our GIANT 3,000 song giveaway when we hit 3,000 songs released, and our Four Year Anniversary Best of Rock Band giveaway that included 10 of the best DLC packs ever released, as voted on by our community. All in all, we gave away almost 4,000 DLC codes!
Rock Band Fans
Speaking of our community, you guys grew to enormous sizes this year! Our Facebook community hit 1 million fans in March, and then surprised all of us by hitting 2 million fans in October. The @RockBand Twitter account surpassed 50,000 followers. And the Rock Band forums have over HALF A MILLION registered users. Thank you guys for being so dedicated!
We had the opportunity to talk to a bunch of Rock Band bands this year, including:
- Stone Sour
- Rose of Jericho
- August Burns Red
- Magnus 'SoulEye' Pålsson
- Amberian Dawn
- Parry Gripp
- Rodigo y Gabriela
- Between the Buried and Me
- Drowning Pool
- Jonathan Coulton
- And a pile of bands at Warped Tour - August Burns Red, Of Mice and Men, Dance Gavin Dance, Winds of Plague, and The Devil Wears Prada
We also had some great videos this year:
- Rock Band Network PAX Panel
- Our Valentine's Day Duets Pack DLC video
- PAX East 2011 Recap
- PAX 2011 Harmonix Panel
- Plus two livestreams featuring Q&A with Harmonix employees - one at Halloween (complete with costumed Rock Band players) and at the holidays featuring ugly Christmas sweaters and DLC announcements
Rock Band's Fourth Anniversary
We also had a series of great behind-the-scenes interviews to celebrate the four year anniversary of Rock Band:
- The Untold Story of Rock Band
- Rock Band Instrument Prototypes & Insider Stories
- Rock Band Logo Concepts
- Rock Band's Fourth Anniversary - Harmonix Stories, Part I
- Rock Band's Fourth Anniversary - Harmonix Stories, Part II
- Rock Band's Fourth Anniversary - Harmonix Stories, Part III
New Rock Band Stuff
After all these years, we still love hearing from our fans. You've always been able to request songs for Rock Band through RockBand.com/request and on the Rock Band forums at the Ultimate Setlist Forum. Now there's another way for you to request artists for Rock Band - The Rock Band Dashboard Facebook App. Check it out to make your Rock Band Wishlist and to see the Community's wishlist!
If you hadn't yet picked up Rock Band 3, but you have all those instruments at home, now you can get it digitally on Xbox LIVE Games on Demand for Xbox 360 for only $19.99. Get more details on the Rock Band blog.
In-Game Top Ten
Thanks to the behind the scenes systems of Rock Band 3, we can share with you the top 10 most-played DLC songs this year:
- 10. "All the Small Things" - Blink-182
- 9. "Numb" - Linkin Park
- 8. "Bat Country" - Avenged Sevenfold
- 7. "Afterlife" - Avenged Sevenfold
- 6. "Through the Fire and Flames" - Dragonforce
- 5. "Nightmare" - Avenged Sevenfold
- 4. "More Than a Feeling" - Boston
- 3. "In The End" - Linkin Park
- 2. "Bring Me to Life" - Evanescence
- 1. "Don't Stop Believing" - Journey
Rock Band in 2012
Rock Band will continue to have weekly DLC releases in 2012, starting with the artists we announced at our holiday livestream - Hall & Oates, Bush, & Huey Lewis & The News.