We now know:
1) There's marked enthusiasm for 2x bass pedal songs on PS3. When both versions became available simultaneously, the split between regular and bass was about 50/50.
2) But it looks like most PS3 players won't want to rebuy a song just because it's now available in a 2x bass version. When the normal version had already been released, the split dropped to something more like 75/25.
From this, we have concluded:
3) The ideal situation for releasing PS3 2x bass songs is when we can release both versions simultaneously.
But it's important to keep in mind:
4) Our standard release for PS3 is 5 songs. We have no expectation of this changing. Being able to release more than 5 songs is a rare occurrence that we can't guarantee on any kind of schedule.
Also, we believe:
5) A 2x bass song should never "take away" a PS3 slot from the regular version of a song. (As a parallel, RBN authors are not permitted to release a 2x bass pedal version to Xbox without also releasing a regular version.)
6) It isn't fair to our PS3 audience if we significantly delay releasing the regular version of a song in the hope of releasing it simultaneously with its 2x version.
So - those are the factors we're considering as we examine the possibility of any future 2x release. Yes, there is a chance - but we're balancing some complex factors, and we haven't ruled any songs out or in, because we don't have a time slot for another 10-song release (or any assurance that we'll find one - everything is completely hypothetical right now).
I hope this analysis gives some useful insight, even if it isn't the news you hoped for.
I'm partially surprised there isn't something planned for Jan. 10, because I'd expect Jan. 3 to be skipped since Dec. 29 is being skipped for XBox and that would in theory produce a little backlog to allow a 10-track week.
Which once I type that out looks like I'm making a lot of assumptions.
However... if we have a week with no content, followed by a week with 10 songs where half of them are 2x bass pedal, then the 2x bass pedal songs have effectively replaced regular content. That doesn't work. It isn't so much that we need a week with 10 songs as it is that we need 5 extra songs in the schedule.
I guess I'll go ahead and request something I've never requested before:
Free Spirit tracks!
"It's a crazy world we live in, and I'm leaving it today." -- Ronnie James Dio.
Jonathan Coulton ft. Sara Quin - "Still Alive" please. I'll take anything and everything Tegan & Sara you feel fit to put out
im sure people who own the game on wii would like all them songs as well not just ps3 users. the only thing i hate about businesses is they favor 1 console over the other i mean ps3 and wii have every right to the same songs as 360 has.
I do wish that more than 5 select songs would be released each week for PS3 so that after the exclusivity period, more than just the most popular songs would become available and that maybe some of the newer songs would make it over more quickly. I'd like Otep, Morbid Angel, Devin Townsend and some of the more established death metal bands on the PS3