Seeing as we are getting towards the end of the year, I thought know would be an appropriate time to post this. Most of the major titles are out already, anyway.
Adding the poll, the first thing that comes to mind: Wow, this was actually kind of a weak year for gaming.
My top 10:
1. The Walking Dead- This certainly turned out to be a hell of a lot better than I thought it would be. These games absolutely wrecked me emotionally. Upon the completion of the whole story, GAME OF THE YEAR.
2.Mass Effect 3- Another choice that is sure to be controversial. Mass Effect 3 had some flaws, to be sure, but it also had some very large improvements over its predecessors, namely in the gameplay department. Couple that with a story that is pretty awesome for the most part (Except for you know what), and ME3 is an extremely solid game, but those flaws keep it from being the sure GOTY I thought it would be before it came out.
3. Far Cry 3- This game is the best example of how much ridiculous fun the open-world genre can be that I have played in years. I'm about 17 hours in, and I may have played 4 story missions. I'm far more content capturing outposts and hunting game than I am doing anything else. It also featured the funniest thing that I saw in a game this year: While capturing an outpost, i shot a cage containing a Tiger, which then opened, and then the tiger proceeded to kill all of the enemies for me. I was too busy laughing my ass off to notice that he had then decided to turn on me, killing me almost instantly. But yeah, like I said, ridiculous fun.
4. Sleeping Dogs- This game was just so much fun. It's really as simple as that. It may be extremely derivative, but this game was an absolute blast to play. The Graphics and fighting engine weren't half bad, either.
5. Halo 4-The story in the campaign was great and emotionally resonant, the graphics are probably the best on the 360, and the multiplayer is the best it's ever been. A game I will be playing until the next Xbox comes out.
6. Forza Horizon- Simply put, the best racing game I've ever played. Absolutely beautiful to watch in motion, as well. I just really have a hard time putting racing games high on these kinds of lists, or else this would be an absolute GOTY contender for me.
7. Assassin's Creed III- So many parts of this game disappoint me, to be honest. But when this game works, it is an absolute joy. Taking part in the Boston Tea Party and climbing through the trees tracking a bear are surely going to be some of my favorite game memories of 2012.
8. Dishonored- Maybe the most unique game I played this year. This game had a very cool style to it, and the powers you get and freedom of choice you get are just outstanding. The Fact that it is overall pretty rough around the edges keeps it from placing higher. That and the thoroughly mediocre story.
9.NBA 2K13- The premier sports video game franchise got even better, somehow. These games are a fixture on my year end lists, for good reason. They are freaking outstanding.
10. Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition- Maybe not the best version of Minecraft, but this introduced me to the idea of it, and I put hundreds of hours into it. That's good enough for me.
Runners Up- Fez, Darksiders II, Rock Band Blitz, WoW: Mists of Pandaria, Max Payne 3, Borderlands II, Deadlight.