I of course like the game. But I feel as though the experience won't feel right until I've obtained the DLC albums.
It's my first Rock Band game and I'm proud to say i pretty much enjoyed it
The songs are fun to play including "The End" though some songs are miss to Mom and My Brother (e.g. Helter Skelter, I Am The Walrus)
rating: FULL PRICE!
Okay this is subjective but maybe my experience is similar to others and therefore has some value...I grew up with Beatles songs, I bought Hard Days NIght when I was five. So to me I had some mixed feelings about buying the kit-thought it might end up being tired and boring. I wanted the instruments to play RB2 with so went ahead and bought it.
After playing through the story twice, I am not excited to play these songs again. However, the game play is fun since other band mates are enthused and the harmonies really get people involved. I still think the songs are tired and boring and I have no excitement to play these songs. But you buy RB Beatles to play the Beatles so I can't complain-I got what I paid for! For people hardly exposed to Beatles the songs are probably exciting, new and playable over and over.. I also have to say playing songs you really know makes the singing and harmonizing fun.
Other criticisms that are less subjective..
1) The story line is so thin. The great graphics make up for skimpy content but...I played story line again to get more content and just unlocked a few more photos with a few liner notes. Also I would have liked the new content displayed when they are unlocked. For all the effort would have liked to have a reward like a new song.
2) Challenges, what challenges??? I received a message "challenge unlocked" a couple of times with no indication of what the challenge is and where to go to do this challenge.
3) Calibration is not possible! I have staggering drunken notes for the bass and guitar! Have tried to calibrate many times and stuck with a 53m delay.
4) Choice of songs on the initial release questionable and song list is paltry - no Hey Jude, Yesterday? Okay you want to sell DLC. After playing through story line my band mates were asking if there were any DLC - we didn't want to play the old songs again and now looking for new ones. This complaint is like the joke "not only is the food bad but the servings were paltry!".
5) Please play or show (in the case of photos) all the unlocked content when you unlock it. Something about "hey I got something!" without it displaying then and there takes away the excitement of discovery (at least for me).
6) From the story line you would think the only changes Beatles went through was venue! Come on! The Beatles spanned a few decades with a lot of social and political events! The Beatles started in their youth and aged with the band! Some things that stick out for me about the Beatles I don't see yet in the game and I was looking for : EARLY YEARS: 1) info on the first drummer; 2) info on how they got their hair cut in Germany (it is probably there but didn't download yet??) ; 3) scoop on the manager Brian Epstein (maybe questionnable content so..) ; 4) more on the movie HELP with vintage video out takes.
LATER YEARS: 1) more on their partying days in swinging London ; 2) more on when John met Yoko (did she cause friction in the band?); 3) John's peace movement; 4) Guru gossip - I think Beatles got turned off the Maharishi when he put the make on one of the girls; 5) who is the Walrus for real? ; 6) was Yellow Submarine just a lame attempt to catch up to the new psychedelic music coming out? Came off as more of a elementary school sing a along-a cool one as far as those things go;7) when, where and how was the break up?; and, 8) could you later add some of the individual acheivements after the Beatles split?
Probably all of these things have been said before so I apologize for going on! I will say the one thing that really makes RB Beatles worth it, fun and unique is the harmonizing. Will wait for DLC now and will shut up!
Awesome game. This is how a band specific game should be done. I am not a huge Beatles fan, but I actually like them more now.
----- The good (or Great in this case)! -------------
I love the story mode, it is fun to see the Beatles grow older. The screaming girls in the beginning still crack me up. The dreamscapes are too awesome for words.
The bass was a lot of fun to play.
Seeing the pictures and reading some beatles lore was great. I did not know much about them before.
The background noise for the loading screens so even they are cool.
The song selection was nice.
------ Improvements -------------------------------
I would like to see a "play all" button for each venue in story mode. Why is that missing?
I cannot figure out how to do singing harmony's online.
A mode where I can just watch the entire song/video with no tracks on the screen (like you see in the trailers)
I just wish we got a choice between playing lead guitar or rhythm not only would it add to the story mode but it would be that much closer to playing the way the beatles did
After growing listening to the beatles music as a kid i couldnt wait to get to play this however after playing i feel the song choice was to short there is such a large catalouge to choose from this could have been massive ie add the red album (1962-1966) and the blue album (1967-1970) together that would have been far better having said that it is still an awesome game and love it but please harmonix now you have done the beatles can we please have rock band Queen