In an effort to clarify questions about RBN coming out on the Wii and PS3, I'm going to start and try to keep up a Rumors and Facts thread about it. Anyone who has links, info, or corrections, please bring them to my attention so I can.
Fact: - Fact disclosed. Links will be provided when possible.
Rumor: - Rumor that has not been proven false.
Rumor (False): - Rumor that has been proven false.
Links will be provided when possible, and I'll go into more detail when needed/available. Again, any assistance with this is much appreciated.
- Fact: As of March 4th, 2010, RBN is currently active on the 360
- Fact: Music can be submitted to the 360 RBN using Microsoft's XNA licence and tools that are currently exclusive to the Microsoft 360 platform
- Fact: Songs released on RBN have a 30 day exclusivity on the 360 before they could possibly appear elsewhere
- Fact: HMX has stated that select tracks will be ported over to the other consoles when possible.
- Fact: RBN is not compatible with RB1.
RBN on the PS3
- Fact: PS3 version of RB2 was patched to put in a store front (per the official patch thread notes by HMXspraynwipe) for RBN. Direct quote: "When the Rock Band Network goes live, select songs will be available for PlayStation 3 users through a new storefront available in game."
- Fact: Sony and the PSN does not have tools or a program similar to the XNA program with XBL currently in order to enable RBN development work to happen directly on the PS3/PSN.
- Rumor: PS3 may have more robust RBN support with RB3. (RockBandAide.com)
- Fact: The RBN page on RockBand.com only mentions select tracks possibly being available on the PS3.
- Fact: The first RBN Tracks are due to hit the PS3 on 4/22 HMXHenry's announcement
- Fact: PS3 RBN Releases will be limited to 5 songs every Thursday
- Fact: PS3 RBN has previews, but no demos.
- Fact: PS3 does allow rating the song. Play the song as a single though quick play, and you can rate it on the splash screen afterward.
From HMXHenry's announcement Thread
- Fact: The Wii version can not be patched, making enabling RBN on the Wii more difficult.
- Fact: Nintendo and the WiiShop does not have tools or a program similar to the XNA program with XBL currently in order to enable RBN development work to happen directly on the Wii.
- Rumor: Wii RBN support not likely to happen any time soon (4/14) (RockBandAide.com)
- Fact: The RBN page on RockBand.com only mentions "Select songs may also appear on PS3".
- Fact: The RBN page on RockBand.com does not mention the Wii for track availability, but does mention the 360 and PS3.
Useful LinksWhen can we expect the RBN on the PS3?
Good question. Harmonix REALLY wants to get the RBN on the PS3, despite what many people are saying. (In fact, I started by asking John “Why does Harmonix hate the PS3?” and we all had a good laugh… but I digress.) What it boils down to is the level of ease at which independent creators can submit tracks for the RBN between the Xbox 360 and PS3. For instance, on the PS3, each person who would submit a RBN track for the PS3 would have to be set up as a separate vendor! I’m not even talking about authors, I’m talking about submitters. And the process to set up vendors is much more difficult and cumbersome than getting someone set up on Xbox 360’s XNA Creator’s Club. The process as planned today is for 30 day exclusivity on the 360, followed by “select RBN DLC” making its way on to the PS3 and Nintendo Wii. I followed up with which “select DLC” make the cut, and it comes down to a number of different factors, including sales numbers, as well as things like diversity of genres and difficulties, as well as probable inclusion of some Harmonix bands.
The PS3 may see a more robust RBN coming out with inclusion in Rock Band 3, however (more on that later). Unfortunately for you RBN fans on the Wii, I wouldn’t hold your breath on seeing the RBN featured on the Wii anytime soon. First of all, I got the impression from John that there are a number of significant technological hurdles to overcome to get it working. Also, and this is from my own detective work (i.e. NOT from John), according to unofficial DLC leaderboard statistics on RockBandScores.com, the Wii only makes up about 3% of total DLC (not including RBN) purchases… in other words, cost vs. benefit wise, it’s probably not the wisest investment of resources for Harmonix.
- RBN Site on Rockband.com - The official HMX site.
- PS3/Wii RBN Request Thread - Unofficial thread to request songs if/when they get ported over to the PS3 or Wii.
- First batch of RBN tracks hitting the PS3 on 4/22 - Official PS3 release announcement.
Disclaimer: I am not a mod, news reporter, or associated with HMX, RBN or RB in any way outside of being a fan and owning a PS3 and a Wii. This information is not official, but is attempting to be accurate. No animals were harmed in the making of this post.