OK, new game. We're gonna try something new here.
OK, attention here. Here are the rules as they've been decided.
You hit shuffle on your MP3s and post the first ten songs that come up*. Boldface (or otherwise highlight, whatever you wanna do) every song that is available (or confirmed for the next week) in Rock Band [BUT THAT MIGHT NOT BE THE CRITERION ANYMORE; CHECK THE MOST RECENT POST]. Live or alternate versions count so long as it's by the same artist (or the same "made famous by" artist in the case of WaveGroup covers). Tally those boldfaced songs up.
The first player to go picks the criterion for the match. (e.g., Song is available in a Rock Band title, song is a cover, etc.)
• The first player goes by hitting shuffle on their MP3 player and posting the first randomly generated ten songs, then marks each song that meets the criterion with boldface.
• That player adds up the boldfaced songs (those that met the criterion); that's their Song Tally. So long as it was more than zero, that player is currently King of the Hill. The Song Tally becomes the record to beat.
• If the first player gets a zero for the Song Tally, no one is King of the Hill, the first player to get a one or more for the Song Tally becomes King of the Hill. No points are scored yet.
Then each subsequent turn, each following player repeats the process: Ten randomly generated songs, tally up the ones that meet the criterion.
• If their Song Tally is higher than the current King's, they get a point and become the new King of the Hill.
• If their Song Tally is lower than the current King's, the King gets a point.
• If their Song Tally is the same as the current King's, the current King remains King but the player gets a point.
The King of the Hill can attempt to further increase his Song Tally by taking a turn during his "reign".
• The new Song Tally becomes the record to beat, whether it was high or lower.
If it's higher, he gets a point. (But nothing for tying it, and certainly not for being lower.)
Rounds are played to 15 points. If a player aces their round (gets all 10 out of 10), they get 8 points and the round is over.
If you top the previous best, the point is yours, and you're the new king of the hill.
If you come in under the previous best, the king of the hill gets the point for your post.
If you tie, you get the point, but the king remains king.
If somehow every single goddamn song that comes up is in Rock Band, the round's over, you get half of what we're playing to.
This first round, first to 25 points wins. (Meaning a perfect score will get you 13 points.)
(This will be something of a practice run. Maybe it will be a colossal disaster, maybe it'll be fun. Maybe we'll have to retool the rules. Maybe we'll need a better name because the one I came up with is kinda s***ty. We'll see how it goes.)
*(Feel free to exclude anything that's not eligible or halfway reasonable for inclusion in Rock Band; i.e., spoken word comedy, 8-bit video game soundtracks, etc., but please be consistent about it. You still have to include Muse, Led Zep and Rolling Stones, though. )
OK, I'll go first. (Doesn't count for a point, but I will be King if the next post doesn't dethrone me.)
1. "Crossroads" - The Offspring
2. "The World Won't Stop Without You" - Bad Religion
3. "Hailie's Song" - Eminem
4. "Auf Wiedersehen" - Cheap Trick
5. "Levon" - Elton John
6. "Wait for Love" - Josh Ritter
7. "I'm Looking Through You" - The Beatles
8. "Delirium of Disorder" - Bad Religion
9. "Outlaw Pete" - Bruce Springsteen
10. "In a Little While" - U2
Current King (& Number to Beat): Dack (1)
Dack - 0