I am a sucker for GOTY discussion in general, as I am a complete and total nerd, so I thought I would make this inevitable thread.
Also Added a Poll.
My top 10:
1. Batman: Arkham City- I am a huge Batman guy, so I may be a tad biased here, but this was one of the most polished games I've ever played. The Combat was fantastic, the story was great, The graphics were stunning, and the Voice acting and writing were top notch. All of those combined with a stunningly realized cityscape add up to my 2011 Game of the Year.
2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim- This was originally my game of the year, but some glitches that completely screwed over my game soured me a tad on this game. Glitches aside, Skyrim is a brilliant game that I look forward to spending hundreds more hours in.
3. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword- I love Zelda games, but this game blew me away. The controls are top notch, the story is actually interesting, and the graphics show you don't need to be on an HD console to be a beautiful game.
4. Portal 2- The Funniest game I have ever played. The writing and voice acting is definitely the star of this game. There's a reason so many things from this game became memes, it's because they are actually funny, without trying too hard. The puzzles and story were even better than the first one, as well.
5. Gears of War 3- This game was easily the best in the series. The story had a very satisfying conclusion, and the improved horde mode and new beast mode were really fun. Not to mention it is one of the best looking games around.
6. Battlefield 3- Hands down the best Multiplayer game I have ever played, only the terrible single player drags this game down from GOTY consideration.
7.Bastion- My favorite XBLA title of all time. Everything about this game clicked with me. The combat, the graphics, the voice acting, and the contextual narrator was awesome. More downloadable games need to be like this.
8. Assassin's Creed:Revelations- The whole sneak and stab thing may be getting a tad old at this point, but the story makes up for some of the "Sameness" feeling in the game. Plus, Constantinople is the best looking and playing city in the series, for my money.
9. Dragon Age II- This game's strength was in its characters and writing. While it was indeed a step down from Dragon Age:Origins, the combat felt great and fluid, and it actually managed to be a pretty damn good game in its own right.
10. L.A. Noire- There are massively differing opinions on this game. While the gameplay did get old after a while, the story and facial animations are among the best ever in gaming, and I actually loved how the game ended. Sadly, I don't think we will be getting a sequel.
Runners up: Modern Warfare 3, NBA 2k12, Dead Island, Rayman Origins,Saints Row: The Third.